Last week when I made the Marinated Salmon, I had some fresh, raw kale in the fridge I need to get eaten up. Usually I eat kale raw in salad. I had only tried sauteing kale one other time and was not thrilled with the results. It was pretty tough. I wanted to try it again, so I did a search and found this recipe for sauteed kale. This time it turned out delicious.
1 1/2 lbs kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1/2 cup vegetable stock or 1/2 cup water
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes, if using, and let them sizzle a bit in the oil.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored.
- Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all (most) the liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.