This new-to-me recipe was posted by Abbi at Where the Wild Things Are. I have to say, with a name including the word “Amazing“, I was intrigued. In trying to keep my recipe selections to healthier ones, this salad sounded like a good one to try. If you want to know who Pat is, check out Abbi’s explanation.
So here’s my good and bad takes on the recipe. The list of ingredients are all things I like (good). The ingredients are healthy and were easy to get and easy to prepare (good). Darling thought the salad was super delicious (good)! I found there was too much going on and too much contrast with the ingredients (not so good) but leftovers the next day had allowed the flavors to mellow together (good). That’s the difference between Darling and me. He can take his whole plate of various foods and condiments and mix it all together and be happy. I tend to like simpler, separate tastes. I usually don’t add condiments either unless it’s a burger or similar food.
So now you’ve been warned. If you like a lot of things going on in your food, then this recipe is for you! If not, then consider leaving out an ingredient or two. My favorite ingredients were the feta cheese and the nutty, toasted pumpkin seeds, aside from the salmon which is the star ingredient that turns this into a meal.
Pat’s Amazing Salad
100g fresh crunchy salad leaves
200g baby plum tomatoes
200g smoked salmon
1/2 a medium avocado
50g feta cheese
3 spring onions
3 – 5 large, ripe strawberries
A handful of pumpkin seeds or salad sprinkle (optional)
- If you are using the pumpkin seeds place them in a large frying pan in a single layer over a medium heat, shaking occasionally until they pop. Set aside.
- Place the salad leaves in a large, attractive salad bowl.
- Slice the mushrooms, spring onions, strawberries and avocado and add to the bowl.
- Halve the tomatoes, cut the feta cheese into cubes and add both to the bowl.
- Tear or cut the salmon into 2cm pieces and add to the bowl.
- Toss well and then sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds or salad sprinkle.
- Serve with a selection of salad dressings for people to choose from.
Serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a main
Source: Where the Wild Things Are